ELECTRONIC COURT REPORTING
Welcome to the overview page for Electronic Court Reporting Services at the 20th Judicial Circuit.
TABLE OF CONTENTS - ADMINISTRATIVE OFFICE OF THE COURTS
It is the mission of the Electronic Court Reporting Office to provide the highest level of professional service with integrity, equality, and respect that ensures the public's right to due process by capturing a true and accurate record of court proceedings as mandated by State Statute or Administrative Rule.
The Twentieth Judicial Circuit is comprised of five counties, Lee, Charlotte, Collier, Glades and Hendry. The five counties currently deploy a hybrid model to provide court reporting services: a combination of digital court recording (DCR) and private contractors. The DCR system (CourtSmart) captures the record for those court events required to be recorded at public expense. Presently, a total of fifteen positions support the digital recording system: eleven Digital Court Reporters (DCR) and one Electronic Court Reporting Manager.
Each of the coastal counties of Lee, Collier and Charlotte has a networked DCR system that is monitored by DCR staff from a control room in each county. In the rural counties of Glades and Hendry, the Clerk's staff presently operates the equipment and maintains the recordings. Our goal is to assume these responsibilities from the Clerks through a circuit-wide networked DCR system, monitored remotely from Lee, Charlotte and Collier counties.
Private court reporting firms, under contract, cover felony trials, grand jury proceedings, and capital and death penalty cases, in each of the five counties. For these cases, the contract court reporter captures the record and provides any ancillary transcripts. For transcripts of events recorded by the digital CourtSmart system, a private transcription contractor is used.
The digital system for capturing the record was installed first in Glades County in July 2002, followed by Hendry County in November of the same year. Collier County's system was installed in five courtrooms and was actively recording beginning in October 2003. Two more rooms were added in Collier in May 2004. In August 2004 Lee County installed the system in nine courtrooms and 19 hearing rooms. Charlotte County's installation took place in six courtrooms in March 2005.
[Back to top]
TYPES OF PROCEEDINGS COVERED
Electronic Court Reporting is required by State Statute or Court Administrative Rule to cover certain due-process proceedings. These proceedings include:
- Felony hearings;
- Misdemeanor cases;
- Criminal traffic cases;
- Felony trials in Collier County (Felony trials in Lee, Charlotte, Hendry and Glades counties are presently covered by contracted court stenographers);
- Baker Acts, Marchman Acts, and Guardianships;
- Juvenile delinquency, detention, and dependency hearings and trials;
- Family law matters held before a General Magistrate;
- Civil cases held before a General Magistrate;
- Child support enforcement hearings, including Department of Revenue (DOR) and Support and Visitation Enforcement (SAVE); and
- Petitions for injunction against domestic violence (temporary restraining orders).
The full list of proceedings can be viewed in Administrative Order 2.2.
Types of Proceedings Not Covered
Electronic Court Reporting does not cover the following types of cases:
- Family law cases before a circuit judge;
- Civil traffic cases;
- Civil cases before a circuit judge, including foreclosure;
- Felony trials in Lee, Charlotte, Hendry and Glades counties. Felony trials in these locations are reported by contracted court stenographers;
- Municipal ordinances and county ordinances.
[Back to top]
Lee, Glades, Hendry Branch Office
Court Administration, 3rd Floor
1700 Monroe Street
Fort Myers, Florida 33901
Phone: (239) 533-8207
Fax: (239) 485-2524
Charlotte Branch Office
Court Administration, 2nd Floor
Charlotte County Justice Center
350 East Marion Avenue
Punta Gorda, Florida 33950
Phone: (941) 833-3003
Fax: (941) 833-3004
Collier Branch Office
Collier County Government Complex
3315 Tamiami Trail East, Suite 501
Naples, FL 34112
Phone: (239) 252-8474
Fax: (239) 252-2609
[Back to top]