Hurricane Season runs from June 1, 2023 to Novemer 30, 2023
Hurricane Safety Information
It's that time of year again. Hurricane season is upon us. Hurricane Season runs from June 1, 2023 to November 30, 2023
Colorado State University (CSU) hurricane researchers are predicting a slightly below-average Atlantic hurricane season in 2023, citing the likely development of El Niño as a primary factor. Eastern and central tropical and subtropical Atlantic sea surface temperatures are much warmer than normal, while Caribbean sea surface temperatures are near their long-term averages.
NOAA forecasters with the Climate Prediction Center, a division of the National Weather Service, predict near-normal hurricane activity in the Atlantic this year. NOAA’s outlook for the 2023 Atlantic hurricane season, predicts a 40% chance of a near-normal season, a 30% chance of an above-normal season and a 30% chance of a below-normal season.
NOAA is forecasting a range of 12 to 17 total named storms (winds of 39 mph or higher). Of those, 5 to 9 could become hurricanes (winds of 74 mph or higher), including 1 to 4 major hurricanes (category 3, 4 or 5; with winds of 111 mph or higher). NOAA has a 70% confidence in these ranges. While, the CSU Tropical Meteorology Project team is predicting 13 named storms during the Atlantic hurricane season. Of those, researchers expect six to become hurricanes and two to reach major hurricane strength (Saffir/Simpson category 3-4-5) with sustained winds of 111 miles per hour or greater.
When monitoring a storm, be sure to get your information from an OFFICIAL source such as The National Hurricane Center AND/OR The National Weather Sercice. The best protection during and after a hurricane is advance preparation both at home and at work. Just as we have an emergency preparedness plan for the 20th Judicial Circuit, you should have one for your family and home.
Our first concern is the safety of our employees and your families. Next, is the need to keep the courts open and functioning or in the event of a closure to reopen the court on at least a mission essential basis as quickly as possible.
When storms develop, we monitor the progress closely. Should one threaten our area, you will be notified of actions to be taken in a number of ways: email, social media direct communications from Court managers and supervisors, and information releases through the media (TV, radio, newspapers).
Here are links to the Circuit's social media accounts:
- 20th Judicial Circuits Court Twitter
- Twentieth Judicial Circuit Court of Florida
- 20th Judicial Circuit Instagram
- 20th Judicial Circuit Administrative Office of the Courts LinkedIn
We have also implemented the Send Word Now emergency notification system. This will allow Court Administration to contact employees via email, text, and phone. It also allows for two-way-communication so you can let us know you received the notification and are ok.
In the event that a "Hurricane Warning" is issued for all or part of our area, the Chief Judge will decide whether the affected courts should be closed. Employees will be directed to go home and prepare for the storm.
Following a storm, you will be notified to return to work in a number of ways: Send Word Now, information releases to the media, Internet, and/or direct contact by a supervisor or court manager. You can also check the 20th Judicial Circuit Information hotline number at (239) 533-1773. The hotline will provide information on closures/ openings for all five counties in the 20th Judicial Circuit.
To assist you in planning and preparing for a storm you may find the following websites helpful. Share these with your friends and family to ensure that they're prepared.
- National Hurricane Preparedness
- Florida Department of Emergency Management
- American Red Cross
County Emergency Management Links: